Curry History & Culture
Curry County was established in 1909 and named after George Curry, Territorial Governor of New Mexico (1907-1910). Curry County was created from parts of Quay and Roosevelt counties. It lies on the far eastern side of the state and is adjacent to the state of Texas. Like most of east-central New Mexico and west Texas, Curry County hosts agriculture and ranching, including peanut and cotton farming and cattle ranching, for meat and dairy production. Several processing plants exist for these products. A high proportion of local residents are employed in the services sector. National retailers have a large impact among retail consumption in the community, though smaller stores including regional and national supermarket chains do exist. Railroad transport formerly contributed to economic growth in the early years of the town’s development and like many small towns still maintains an important role in the economy.