In 2013, the New Mexico Association of Counties Board of Directors adopted an official positions book for the organization. These positions provide a record of the Association’s stance on a variety of county issues and reflect the diverse interests of the NMAC membership. The positions have been summarized into a policy statement and is reviewed annually for changes and updates by the Board of Directors during their August meeting.
THE LIFECYCLE OF AFFILIATE LEGISLATIVE RESOLUTIONS
AND NMAC PRIORITIES
Year Round Policy Committee Meetings
Spring Affiliate Meetings
- Affiliates consider possible legislative and/or policy issues for Annual Conference.
April/May Policy Committee Meetings
- Discuss potential legislative issues that have countywide impact and statewide significance after the legislative district meetings; report legislative resolutions and/or policy issues to respective affiliates.
May Advisory Council Meeting
- Affiliates present legislative and/or policy issues and final affiliate meeting agendas with possible joint meetings to the Advisory Council for discussion. NMAC staff report legislative resolutions and/or policy issues to the Legislative Committee.
May Legislative Committee Meeting
- Preview affiliate legislative resolutions and/or policy issues to determine if they have countywide impact and statewide significance as a priority or as an affiliate initiative.
June Annual Conference
- Affiliates submit legislative resolutions and/or policy issues during Conference.
- Non-elected official affiliates submit legislative resolutions and/or policy issues through the Managers Affiliate for endorsement.
July Legislative Committee Meeting
- Following June Annual Conference, review and categorize affiliate legislative resolutions to determine if they have countywide impact and statewide significance as a priority or as an affiliate initiative and make recommendations to the Board at the August meeting, Policy issues shall be referred to respective policy committees.
August Board Meeting
- The Legislative Committee and Affiliate Chairs and/or their designated representative present legislative resolutions to Board for endorsement and consideration as legislative priorities.
- The endorsed legislative resolutions to be considered as a priority are then voted on by the Board, which selects a limited number of resolutions as NMAC legislative priorities.
- Those endorsed legislative resolutions that are not voted as priorities may be advanced by the Affiliates for legislative action with support from NMAC, as time and resources permit.
July – December Legislative Interim Committee Meetings
- NMAC presents bills to Interim Committees; Link to interim committees:
- Committees vote to endorse some bills.
August – December Selection of Sponsor & Drafting by Legislative Council Service
- NMAC to write FIR responses for priorities.
Fall Affiliate Meetings
- Affiliates continue to work on legislative issues.
November Joint Meeting with NMML
- NMAC and NMML Executive Boards meet to discuss and endorse legislative priorities.
January Introduction of Bill and Committee Assignments
January – February (30-day session) or January – March (60-day session) Tracking and Communication during Session
January – February (30-day session) or January – March (60-day session) Committee Hearings and Floor Votes on Bills
February – April Action by the Governor
- NMAC Legislative District meetings