Overview of Drug & Alcohol Testing in the Public Sector
Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2022
Time: 10:00am – 12:00pm
Instructor: Mark Allen, Loss Prevention Attorney
Certificates will be provided.
Target Audience: Supervisors, Managers, and HR professionals.
Description: This class will provide a basic understanding of the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988; federal drug & alcohol testing laws applicable to counties; constitutional protections for public employees; marijuana legalization implications; testing under the ADA, FMLA, PEBA, and Workers Compensation. It will also address the following questions:
- Which county employees are required by law to be tested?
- Can a county test all employees?
- What is a “safety-sensitive” employee and why does it matter?
- Is a county required to have a written testing policy before testing?
- Can a county have one testing policy that covers everyone?
- What county employees can be subject to random testing?
- What is the standard for “reasonable suspicion” testing?
- Can a county require testing after every vehicle accident regardless of the severity or reasonable suspicion of impairment?
- Does a county have to bargain with its union(s) before implementing testing mandated by federal law?
- Can county employees with medical marijuana cards still be tested?
- What employment protections are afforded marijuana users?
REGISTER AT: http://www.anymeeting.com/PIID=E950DD89834F3962